Patna, Bihar: First ever Alumni of Jamia Millia Islamia Bihar, met together on dated 14th November 2017, to discuss about the formalization of Alumni Association in Bihar, at Aithi Guest House, Kidwaipuri, Patna.
Welcome and brief: Safdar Ali, The Chairperson, welcomed the respected alumni with thanks and a JMI Tarana was played followed by a briefing on the purpose of the meeting.
The purpose of the meeting was to basically identify the ways by which the alumnus could do something for the underprivileged section of society or return back something to the community. It basically focussed on the need for preparing a strategy through which the participants can collectively or individually empower the community members or elevate their level of education or fulfill some basic necessities.
Introduction of an alumnus: All the participants introduced themselves along with their current positions.
Open discussion and objective finalization:-
- The discussion was very enriching and everyone came to know about the number of minor problems being faced by the community members that could be addressed by just advocacy or lending a bit of helping hands.
- The issue of a researcher was highlighted who is working on a monumental work. He is basically digging out the history of personalities not commonly known to the masses. The important personalities among the communities have been left in darkness and despite their huge contribution to the freedom The researcher just need a bit of help in the form of a laptop or tab to make his work more efficient and effective with much more exploration. But he is struggling to get that meagre help.
- The necessity of a common platform was discussed in order to help those who are in need of our helping hands. There are many victims due to the negligence of administration or lack of proper knowledge to get their rights or fight for it. A bit of back up or support may help in getting out of the distressing situation.
- The participants agreed upon the need of registration of Alumni body of JMI Bihar chapter. It was also the consent of all to have an account and fix the monthly contribution to the body like Rs. 100 to 200 per month per participant.
- The body also discussed the development of bylaws and they were informed about the already developed by-laws of JMI Bihar chapter.
- The participants discussed the modalities to mobilize the resources to support our
- The use of advocacy to support the victims was emphasized. And it could be done through RTI, telephone and discussing the matter with the authority.
- The team accepted the proposal of the quarterly meeting of the body and presentation of achievements made by every participant.
- Some suggested starting the advocacy or mobilization work at their own villages like visiting the primary schools or madrasas and sorting out their problems using their contacts or approach.
- The team suggested having a collaborative approach to address the issues at their community level as most of the members are busy with their works or away from their native places. So, through partnering or mobilizing the resources, many of the needy could be helped out.
Some of the ways were proposed or agreed upon by the team. The programs by which support mechanism can be made better are: –
- DDKY, a government program for the placement of matriculation or nonmatriculated Wasim Ansari may help the job seekers in this regard.
- An awareness of the schemes is required which are – Alkabir vocational training, residential 6 months vocational/skills development courses run by ICICI Foundation at Ashiana, Patna, the coaching to get admission in Navoday vidhyalay, Bihar government unemployment allowance, Student credit card scheme, Dindayal Kaushal Yojana and legal support through government nodal agency like NALSA at block or district level.
- Registration of the body by – Parvez Ahmad
- Bylaws of the body by – Safdar Ali
- Placement of job seekers in Bihar – Wasim Ansari
- Minority welfare scheme to be shared by – Afroz Alam Sahil
- Rural development program to be shared by – Osama Hasan
- Livelihoods program to be shared by – Shams Tarique
- List of Alumni to be prepared by – all the participants
Book launch of Afroz Alam Sahil:- A book written on Sheikh Gulab was launched by the team in presence of Afroz Alam Sahil. He was felicitated with the local Gamcha. All the participants got a book with his signature.
The vote of thanks: – everyone was again thanked for spending their valuable time in making the meeting a successful program. It was followed by the group photo session and ended with the delicious biryani.
Alumnus participated in the meeting:
- Shams Tarique
- Safdar Ali
- Wasim Ansari
- Afroz Alam Sahil
- Osama Hasan
- Zakir Hussian
- Suhail Ahmad
- Pervez Alam
- Sheezan Nezami
- Khurram Malik